Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thankfulness

Thanks-giv-ing (noun)  1) the act of giving thanks; 2) expressing gratitude

No surprises; today was Thanksgiving Day.  Today is the day that almost all Americans come together somewhere and give thanks. That is what the day is named for, so that is what we are supposed to do. 

But what about the other 364 days of the year? 

Always rejoice, constantly pray, in everything give thanks. For this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 

There it is... my calling is to give thanks in everything.   God does not say "give thanks because it is November and we have this holiday", but give thanks because that is His will for our lives.

I'll be honest, I have not been doing a whole lot of giving thanks for everything.  What I have been doing is a whole lot of grumbling and worrying about, well, about pretty much everything.  I wake up with worry in my heart, go through my day worrying and back in bed still with that same worry. Yet I know that my Savior has already taken care of it all.

So then, don’t worry saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear?’  For the unconverted pursue these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But above all pursue his kingdom  and righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.  So then, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Today has enough trouble of its own.  Mathew 6:31-34

There it is - proof that it is being handled. My heart knows this, but my brain is lagging a bit.   Its time to change that! I know, I know, it is not that simple to just give up worry and start giving thanks always.  But can't it be?  For those of us who live in Christ, can't it be that simple if we just let it?  
So here at the close of Thanksgiving day, I am challenging myself, and my family, to start seeing all that we have to be thankful for.  Not just today, or during the Christmas season, but everyday to name at least one thing, which I am sure will remind us of so many more reasons to be thankful for as well.  
 Anyone else up for the challenge?

I'll start:  

Today I am so thankful that my family loves spending time together.  Today we cooked together, ate together and played together.  The 3 guys in my home are a huge blessing in every way and I don't want to lose sight of that when Thanksgiving is over. 


I hope everyone had a wonderful, blessed Thanksgiving day with their own families, and I challenge you to 365 days of thankfulness!

0 comments: